Pod Patcher

All about Sik's and others's incredible works
Répondre
Skubidou
Administrateur

Pod Patcher

Message par Skubidou »

Here it is...

The podpatcher is a program i created in 2000 to create Circuits.bin files and track IMG files. Till now, it was not public because we though it was better to keep circuits.bin creation centralized (because of necessary unique ID), but we are now too busy with other things (TM ;) ) to follow this so i decided to put it public. But here are the rules you need to respect to avoid any problems with the files you will release (on your PC, you make what you want, this is not my problem).

Tracks need 2 files to be CD-Patchable:
- Circuits.bin : contains the name of the track, the display name in POD, the 2 ID, the lenght (only for display, it's not used) and the level (a param we don't have completely understood, but it's not a problem because we know wich value to put)
- IMG file : contain the image of the track in the menu, and 2 small images, representing the track name in normal and reverse mode, for the multiplayer mode (when you have the grey-pink list on the right with selected tracks).

1. Circuits.bin

First, before creating a Circuits.bin, you need a unique ID for your track. Here is the list of all ID already used:
http://skubidou.free.fr/Pod/Tools/PodPa ... its_ID.htm
For the first ID, we will continue tu use 1, and for second ID, we will continue after Newsance (so, the first new ID will be 126).

SO, BEFORE CREATING A NEW CIRCUITS.BIN FILE, COME HERE AND RESERVE THE NEXT ID FOR YOU TRACK, GIVING THE NAME (OR TEMPORARY UNIQUE NAME) AND THE ID. I WILL UPDATE THE HTML FILE.

To create a new circuits.bin, you will need:
- Track File Name (2-8 character): It's the same name you give to the BL4. Don't forget to export your track from 3DsMax using this name. The exportation write the track name in the BL4 file and this name need to be the same as here (protection added with the GS2 patch).
- Track Menu Name: Need to be the same as the track file name. Even if the program allow 9 character and POD accept it, the CD-Patcher does not allow a difference between them. So if you want your track to be CD-Patchable, use the same name. The only difference allowed is the case (Aa)
- Number of laps (1-255): what you want, depending on the lenght of your track
- Track Length: this lenght will be display in the property of the track, but has no influence in the game. SO put what you want
- Track Level : 2 (we have had some bugs in pod when using different value with reskin tracks. It seems to be OK with 2 for new track, so keep this value)
- ID1: 1 (like explain earlier)
- ID2: the value you reserved

Click on 'Create Circuits.bin File' and save the new file

In the Circuits.Bin subdirectory, you will find all the circuits.bin (rename under [trackname].bin, if you want some example. You can see there that Plant21 has a menu name differenty from the track name, but Plant21 is already installed in POD, POD support it, but not the CD-Patcher, so don't use this...

1. IMG file

To create this, you will need 3 images. These 3 images need to be in RAW 24bits to be understood by the program. They also need to have some sizes....

- Source Circuit Image File: 288 pixels width, 167 to 170 pixels height. RAW 24 bits, but can only use the 103 colors already used in the other IMG files of the game (due to a bug in the game that don't reload the palette each time you select another track). To know the exact colors to use, you can used the 'standard palette.raw' file (Raw 24 bits of 256 pixels, containing the palette from each existing IMG)
- Source Circuit Name File: The name of the track for multiplayer game. Take the 'Empty Name.tga' file (for the correct background) and add the track name. Export the result in Raw 24 bits.
- Source Circuit Name Mirrored File: Same as before, but write the mirrored name (ex: Noredla)

Click on 'Create IMG File' to create the file.

The IMG extractor is not needed to create new IMG. Try it if you want but it's not necessary.

Last recommandations

To avoid any problems, to avoid too many final versions of the same track, ....
- Reserve you ID BEFORE creating the circuits.bin file
- For the beta, if you still don't have the final name, the final image, ... simply take an IMG from another track and simply rename the file. There are no control on this in the game.
- Release you beta under a temporary name (ex: 'MPPBeta1' for Megapolpod Beta 1)
- Once you have finish your track, it has been test, is OK. Release it under its final name, using the same ID (don't reserve a ID for the beta and another for the final track).
Like this, there will be only one version under the final name

This program is release as is. Like you can see on screnshots, it's a 'beta' version....but it seems to work well :D
Don't ask me how to create Raw file or use the palette, i don't have create any for more than 3 years, so i don't even remember...
Don't ask me to add TGA or BMP support instead of RAW in the program, i can't compile anymore the code so it's not possible to make a modification.

And here is the program:
http://skubidou.free.fr/Pod/Tools/PodPa ... atcher.zip

Skubidou:~
Shadowfax

Message par Shadowfax »

I set up a CDpatcher version of Slimepit with an ID of 126.

http://webpages.charter.net/shadowfax1/slimepit.zip
megapolpod

Message par megapolpod »

Untitled:

ID: 127
Laps: 9
Lengh: 11250
Level: 4
Trackversion: 2

Thank you Skubi for the tool

Megapolpod ;)
Dernière modification par megapolpod le 23 août 2004 15:24, modifié 1 fois.
Leadbest

Message par Leadbest »

Thanks for releasing the tools guys but I have a good question for you.

Is there a known ID limit? Is it possible to create too many track ID#'s?

Also I thought Slimepit already has a CD patchable version with ID 102?
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

Right, Slimepit was one of the first track we had cdpatched.

Concerning ID, as long as it fits between 0 and 255 there's no pb.
Simply keep in mind that pod only accepts a max number of tracks installed (around 57) regardless of their IDs.
Shadowfax

Message par Shadowfax »

Oops.... Where do I get Slimepit? I just saw the bl4 version on Qball's website. I guess I can open up the 126 ID.....
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

Shadowfax a écrit :Oops.... Where do I get Slimepit? I just saw the bl4 version on Qball's website. I guess I can open up the 126 ID.....
http://witnessteam.free.fr/downloads/sk ... imepit.zip

So, ID126 is free ;) ...for next new track...

Rob

Yay...

Message par Rob »

Keep it free for Cube please...

:casse:

I'm out ! :arrow:
Vortex

Message par Vortex »

lol, yeah right! :P
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

ID Web page updated with Untitled and Cube.

Rob, now that Cube is reserved, you have one month to finish him or the ID will be free again ;)

Megapolpod, please use level 2 and not level 4 for tracks made with the Max plugin. You asked why this program was not public before? Simply to avoid errors and conflicts. In 2 days, Shadowfax already created an unnecessary ID and you didn't follow the rules... :?

megapolpod

Message par megapolpod »

I don't understand you :roll:

Shadowfax and unessesary ID's.

Can you please answer my mail

Thank you

megapolpod :|
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

megapolpod a écrit :Shadowfax and unessesary ID's.
Not important, the problem is already solved... But this is more important...
Skubidou a écrit :But here are the rules you need to respect to avoid any problems
- Track Level : 2 (we have had some bugs in pod when using different value with reskin tracks. It seems to be OK with 2 for new track, so keep this value)
megapolpod a écrit :Level: 4
megapolpod a écrit :Can you please answer my mail
NO. (this is my answer to the mail).

megapolpod

Message par megapolpod »

Hi,

i will make a night version of untitled. Here are the Parameters:

Name: Unight
Laps: 3
Km: 11025
ID: 128