POD3 Project

All about Sik's and others's incredible works
RaiseHell

Message par RaiseHell »

It's getting a bit ridiculous now...

We're such a small community and we still manage to work against each other...

I'm really disappointed to see all these jokes here instead of helping each other...
Veliouh

Message par Veliouh »

You are jealous cause you also want a poster ?
Mercury

Message par Mercury »

This is really sad. :(

It seems the decision has been made. Skubi and the others, for whatever reason, do not want to give out information. That is disappointing. Not only that, but now they're cracking jokes about it.

And they're not even funny jokes, just stupid.

What is the reason for this behavior? I never understood why people act like jerks toward others who mean them no harm.
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

Reason was already given. This Megapolpod guy annoyed us like hell in the past. He had suspect and insulting behavior. We don't like him and we don't trust him. That's all.

Btw I'm really wondering what are you still expecting from this game 10 years later ? Track and car meshes are available as well as tools to create tracks and view ghosts. Anything bigger than that (like a new Game Service, a new game with better graphics etc.) would involve recompilation from the source code and that is not possible. So what ?
Mercury

Message par Mercury »

I've been on this forum (lurking, mostly) for over 2 years and I have not seen anything annoying, suspect or insulting from Megapolpod. I'm now looking at his older posts and although he asked a lot of questions that might be considered annoying, he seems to me to be a person very interested and eager and not in any way malicious. I see no reasons for the insulting jokes I see here.
Rob

Yeah

Message par Rob »

There ain't any insulting jokes here, even if we're kidding a bit about a subject you care for, it doesn't mean we're disrespectful toward you.

I've been on this forum since its creation, and I know Megapolpod's interventions since his arrival here. I know how he can be stuborn and annoying, not listenning to what people say and never changing his mind about things. Even though Sik explained the situation twelve zillion times, he still didn't understand and keep asking for the same useless things. Can't you guys trust people when they say "The code is useless" ?

Damned ! Peace on earth bro, jah, rastafarai ! :quipoiv:
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

A forum is not the only way to contact others you know...
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

This was before that, and by mail.

He didnt' insult us (insulting word), but take us for stupid guys:

After several attempts to get info (using stupid reasons, like 'i try to get Alderon oem texture because they are better than Alderon'...yes a 8bits texture is surely better than a 15bits texture...), thinking that everyone has informations except him, just because we don't like him, i received this e-mail (last attempt, in 2005. After that he didn't contact me anymore...):
Hi Skubi,

i use a new email-adress because the old was not so good ;-).
I have an Problem, i try to make a new pod-track with siks gread plugin and i exportet it. i can play it on pod, but yesterday, my pc hast lost the original *.max file of the track, but i want to have the original 3D Coordinates and the UVW-maps back, and therefore i write today to you. Can you write me a tool, that can recover tracks with UVW maps, that i can edit some of it an export it again? Please, we are very good friends you know, and therefore that would be very nice.

I hope that you can help me

Regrads

BJ
- I've never received an e-mail from BJ befor this one. Why telling 'hey i just change my e-mail...'
- I was not better friend with BJ than Bandie, ... not really a good friend (since i don't even know his real address)
- BJ write better english than that if think (for what i read in the forum). But this suspect mail, containing this sort of question is like previous mail from megapolpod...

I answered (like i would have answer to everyone (except Sik since he was in the project) that he could send me the file and i will look to export the max file (what i did for LeadBest in the past)

The answer was
Hi,

oh that's really great, but in my track there are personally informations, which don't can i put public. There are datas and images of my family, and i hope you will understand that.

Couldn't you send me please a copy of this tool with description? I am now really interresting in the pod tool's, i don't know why, you and sik were doing wonderfull things for that game

Regrads

BJ
- Does he put nude photos of his familly in the BL4? :roll: :lol:

And after this you say that giving BLx format will help POD :klonk:

I didn't anwser this mail. And finally got this mail...
Pllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
sent it to me
- Argh, finally the megapolpod style :mrgreen:

The joke (putting false PDF file on the web) was a private joke for megapolpod, since it's the third time he found something on my web server (sniffing each directory) that is not intended to be 'public' (but not secret. Simply no interrest except for the one i gave the link) and then asking informations about it... In the past, i was also sniffing Ubisoft FTP, but when i found something, i have never send a mail to Ubisoft or ask on the forum to have informations for something i was not supposed to have found... (and i like his style : I ask informations but ... 'its crypted but anybody needs the description and will get it without problems' :lol: )

Skubidou:~
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

But this has nothing to do with the problem.

Like said before, i think that simply giving BLx format will not help POD and anwser 'Why not' will not convince me ;)

When i speak about cheating, this is not only 'volontary' cheating, but also 'accidental' cheating, like when Hal released 2 versions of his track, with different locations for the start line, or the modifications of Shadowfax, not intended by shadowfax to be a cheat but for fun, but that give problems finally (like Bananas...).

Your reason is 'Why not giving file format, the community is so small, who cares, this will not arm the game'

My reason is 'Why geaving file format, the community is so small, who cares, this will not help the game'

NicoDE

Message par NicoDE »

Skubidou a écrit :My reason is 'Why geaving file format, the community is so small, who cares, this will not help the game'
Most probably it will not "help" the game, that's true. I doubt that there is anyone left in the community, who would invest the time and effort to finally develop something that wasn't already done by Siklist, you, and others.
I'm a very untalented virtual driver. However, using a disassembler is my way to "play" with POD from time to time. But with the "re-inventing the wheel" feeling in mind, it's not that easy to keep the motivation :)
Finally, I do not have any buzz arguments why you could/should/would share some informations. It just might keep some people interested in the game for some time.
Lazarus
Administrateur

Message par Lazarus »

Mercury a écrit :I've been on this forum (lurking, mostly) for over 2 years and I have not seen anything annoying, suspect or insulting from Megapolpod. I'm now looking at his older posts and although he asked a lot of questions that might be considered annoying, he seems to me to be a person very interested and eager and not in any way malicious. I see no reasons for the insulting jokes I see here.
This story goes back a long long time ago. In October 2003 (!) Megapolpod also contacted me directly for the same reason (although I had not been involved in the track making projects) by asking to become a member of the Witnessteam. After I told him that he didn't need to be part of the witnessteam (that had actually ceased official activities as a team) to get the necessary instructions and tools to make new tracks, he insisted still, and when I finally explained that I couldn't do anything for him anyway for only Siklist and Skubi had the tools and knowledge he never contacted me ever again.

So please don't misunderstand Sik and Skubi: this is not just their idea of keeping the thing for themselves, there was near harrassment, and quite an annoyance, and Megapolpod, from the very beginning, has never given any reason to be trusted (quite the contrary).

Being myself involved in open-sources softwares, here's a suggestion for all those who so badly want to play with the pod sources: rather than sticking to the idea that you could maybe do something with the actual pod sources, why don't you take it the other way round and use some existing open-source gaming tools and throw in all we have from pod (tracks, cars, sounds) ? There's already great stuff out there, and it would probably be easier to plug in the pod tracks and cars to some existing Open GL 3D engine rather than try and get something out of the existing pod sources...

That's just a suggestion, I won't take part in any such project anyway because of lack of time, but if some of you are really motivated, I suppose it's on this direction that you should look...

And if you do something with OpenGL there's hope that it runs on Linux :pinguinnnnnn powaaa: so I could play again :GROUINK:

Laz
RaiseHell

Message par RaiseHell »

I like Lazarus' suggestion. I definitely would contribute to such a project if I had enough knowledge to do so. But I suspect there's too few people who are motivated to work on such a project.

I'll just pray to God that a gaming company will develop a sequel. I even do have an idea how someone could create a sequel without getting sued by Ubisoft (LOAD Inc., do you read me? :P).
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

NicoDE a écrit :However, using a disassembler is my way to "play" with POD from time to time. But with the "re-inventing the wheel" feeling in mind, it's not that easy to keep the motivation :)
Finally, I do not have any buzz arguments why you could/should/would share some informations. It just might keep some people interested in the game for some time.
In this case, i could just suggest you to 'attack' another game... (what i did):
- I don't see the fun to read simply a file format document. It's funniest to find everything by yourself :D But it takes time, that's right... i'm working on Trackmania files for more than 4 years (time to time) and still does not have finish the uncompression (dont even speak about compression :roll: ). I have the system, but not the complete algorithm. I can uncompress 90% of the file.
- Doing this with a existing game is more usefull. I have already made some tools to help some players (extract tracks from replays), and i have several tools ideas, that could be easily written as soon as compression is finished.
- BLx files are old :P It will not help to understand recent game files. It's loosing time... We did it because we had a goal behind that, not simply to understand the format.

Lazarus has a good idea, and if someone create an engine, with its own file format (open source ;) ) i could perhaps give information or even help to convert track/cars file to the new format...

NicoDE

Message par NicoDE »

Skubidou a écrit :It's funniest to find everything by yourself :D But it takes time, that's right... i'm working on Trackmania files for more than 4 years (time to time) and still does not have finish the uncompression (dont even speak about compression :roll: ).
Maybe I can help, who knows...
(but not next week, we are currently in the release cycle)
Skubidou a écrit :Doing this with a existing game is more usefull.
Don't get me wrong, but I did work for some years in the gamedev business and I'm still not used to modern games (except some RPGs).
Skubidou a écrit :It will not help to understand recent game files.
I did not expect to learn how recent games put there stuff together. Nowadays the binaries are full of templates and extremely optimizing compilers are making my daily work hard enough. I don't want to continue my work at home; just take some (not much) time to dig into old games like POD and Ambermoon...
Skubidou a écrit :Lazarus has a good idea, and if someone create an engine, with its own file format (open source ;) )
Anyone... ?-)
Dernière modification par NicoDE le 16 sept. 2007 13:13, modifié 1 fois.
Mercury

Message par Mercury »

Skubidou a écrit :- I don't see the fun to read simply a file format document.
You don't see the fun, but that doesn't mean that no one can see the fun.

Honestly, you seem to not have a good reason for witholding the information except to annoy Megapolpod... he annoyed you so now you want to annoy him.

I will say it one more time, after that the decision is up to you:

Regardless of what megapolpod did, the fact is people can get enjoyment out of POD by looking at the source. (I have stories where I have done similar things.) There is something to be gained here. There is nothing to lose, unless somehow you would see the release of the source as a "victory" for megapolpod or something like that. Frankly, it just might shut him up, if he is annoying you, so you should try.

That's all, Skubi.
Shadowfax

Message par Shadowfax »

Skubidou a écrit :or the modifications of Shadowfax, not intended by shadowfax to be a cheat but for fun, but that give problems finally (like Bananas...).

I think that was SnakeEyes :-) I just started to make a track called "cave", with SnakeEyes help.
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

Sorry, it was some time ago. I spoke about the turd and the modified version of Canyon

Megapolpod_Guest

Message par Megapolpod_Guest »

I am sorry for the things i did. I was a children and children wants to have all. but i real love pod. there is no game, which is so good then that. trackmania is for me boring, mad tracks is funny, but only if you play it the first times.

i made faults in the past. but you have been right, it was not good which i did.

But please do not kill me for all that faults. i have learnd a much in past.

i only write in this topic because there was a discussion about the pod source.

i hope you can forgive me for all that :-(
Veliouh

Message par Veliouh »

Do you want a dedicated pod source poster ?
NicoDE

Message par NicoDE »

Veliouh a écrit :Do you want a dedicated pod source poster ?
Very funny, isn't it?
Répondre