TestEngine

All about Sik's and others's incredible works
Freddy

Message par Freddy »

Skubidou a écrit :Altavista is really usefull sometimes, Even if everything is not correctly translated, you understand the most part of the text.

If i would write to a german forum, i think it would be better understood using altavista
I agree with you Sku, I don't dislike Altavista. :lol: I was just making fun of the whole thing

:glandhal: It is just that getting a good translation is very hard, the grammar structure is very different than French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian.

:velu: As far as the translation between German and English, It is more accurate due to the fact that both languages are grammatically and phonetically alike.

:glandhal: After all, English derived from German many centuries ago. I believe that 60% of the English language came from German, I could be a little off on the percentage.

:oops: I also use AsTaLaVista for French, But I endup not understanding anyway.
Dernière modification par Freddy le 22 nov. 2003 6:21, modifié 1 fois.
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

Thanks for the file Freddy. I think I've found what was going wrong.

Btw another question : is your Voodoo5 in a PCI slot ? In this case do you have another card in the AGP slot ?
Freddy

Message par Freddy »

Sik, it is a PCI V5. ;)

:Sikliiissstttt: "I don't have an AGP slot."
grokon

Message par grokon »

Skubidou a écrit :And using it like LB to read the french forum (for example) is also usefull. Even if everything is not correctly translated, you understand the most part of the text.
Hehe Skub, have you ever tried to translate from Fremch to Belgian ? Or even worse (since our French is not so good in a general way), from French to French :)

DERF
DeltaFX

Message par DeltaFX »

As far as the translation between German and English, It is more accurate due to the fact that both languages are gramatically and phonetically alike.
:shock: :roswell:

German & English ??? Gnh ? ahem, where in English do we have words that change if genitive, dative you see, "die die der der", "den die das die" and so on ????? German & Greek are closer from my point of view than German & English.

Translating from German is easy, I mean, computationnaly easy : one always knows who are the subject, complements ( lack of vocabulary to describes COD, COI, Complement circonstanciel de lieu, etc etc etc)
Freddy

Message par Freddy »

DeltaFX a écrit : German & Greek are closer from my point of view than German & English.
:chuicon: It was not meant to be taken literatelly, I never implied to be a "word for word" similarity. :mrgreen:

:roll: Let me re-phrase what I had expressed before.

English and German are very similar in grammar structurally, not necessarily phonetically or pronunciation.

:glandhal: When I said is a derivative of English, my argument is based on one of many articles on the subject such as this one:

:arrow: http://www.wordorigins.org/histeng.htm#indo
DeltaFX

Message par DeltaFX »

okay :respect:
Vortex

Message par Vortex »

I have to agree with Freddy there. Though English is grammatically a lot simpler than German, they're both quite alike. Also when you take a look at the verbs you'll notice that in many ways they are quite similar.
Sort of like the similarities between French and Spanish (which are obviously more apparant) like the following verbs:

English - German - French - Spanish
========================
to run - rennen - courrir - correr
to live - leben - vivre - vivir
to sing - singen - chanter - cantar
to have - haben - tenir - tener
to see - sehen - voir - ver
to come - kommen - venir - venir
to sleep - schlafen - dormir - dormir

these are just a few examples. I also think that his is partly the reason why most French students prefer to learn Spanish and not German ;-) At least that's an observation I've made over time.
grokon

Yes

Message par grokon »

Germans came to England because Huns took Germany .. So native English people (who were celtics in fact) went to Wales, Ireland, Scotland, and some of them even came to Brittany (yes, my beloved country).

And it is now fun to see that what were the German people, took over the natives :)

Another funny point I heard, is that StoneHenge was not made by english people, but by people came from Brittany back to their country ... Damn a big mix there ... While french are just pure mix of Francs, English, Spanish, Goths, Arabians ... Do I forget some ? Hehe :)

DERF
Vortex

Message par Vortex »

I heard something about the Stonehenge thing as well. Apparently scientists found sort of a grave there and analyzed the teeth and came to the conclusion that the "architect" came from Bavaria (don't ask me how they found out). Anyway, the English seemed to be pretty mad and more or less insulted when they heard the news ;-)
Freddy

Message par Freddy »

Vortex a écrit :I have to agree with Freddy there. Though English is grammatically a lot simpler than German, they're both quite alike.
:glandhal: Muchas Gracias. :arrow: Please read the *Disclaimer*. :gump:

:orc: I rest my case.

Disclaimer: Altavista was not used in any way, shape or form to translate this phrase. :mrgreen:
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

Hey Freddy. I sent you an email about a new testengine.exe to test but I'm giving it here too :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/souik/temp/test ... 1_beta.zip

Hope this will work on your v5.
Freddy

Message par Freddy »

Thanks Sik, ;)

I downloaded the file that was posted.

I tried it in two different ways and got mixed results: :?

I extracted the file to a separate folder away from where the settings, track & car folders are and it launches ok. I can import the car allright but when I tried to import the track I got this error: "Erreur inconnue". :shock:

The second way was that, I extracted the file to the same folder where the other folders are; settings, track & car. I executed the file and it loads both the car and track at the same time but I immediately get the same error as mentioned before. All of this was done after importing the settings first. :Sikliiissstttt:

Even though I find it very intuitive, I am still not sure about one thing: what gets imported first?.
DeltaFX

Message par DeltaFX »

luckyly you didn't get "unexpected" and "illegal" errors :ké boulet:

"Your computer has been running stable for the last two hours,
MS AutoCrash (tm) will generate a routine BSOD" :ced:
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

By default, car is imported before track. But this isn't important. You can import each object (track, car, settings) whenever you want, the testengine is designed to work in any case though the usual way is to import a track, then a car and finally some settings.

Ok, so you can import all 3 cars without error, right ? Problem only comes from track loading now.

Here are some new things to test :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/souik/temp/test ... _debug.zip

This is a debug version so don't worry if it's slow. The zip file also contains 2 tracks to try (one is just a textured quad and the other a non textured quad).

Last thing I'll ask you Freddy : try to once press F2 (to disable shadows rendering) just before loading a track.
Freddy

Message par Freddy »

Hi again Sik.

I ran the debug version several times and these are the results:

1)- I got the "Erreur inconnue" with or without pressing F2, sometimes it worked after restarting the program.

2)- After the error message, I got:
"ODE INTERNAL ERROR 2"
-Invalid Operation For Locked Space (ODE/SCR/COLLISION_SPACE.cpp:51)

3)- "MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ DEBUG LIBRARY"
-Program: D:\test engine_us_v121_debug.exe
-Abnormal Program Termination
-(Press Retry to Debug The Application)

4)- If I press retry again I get:
-"Step-3 again" plus
-R6025
-Pure Virtual Function Call

5)- If I exit the program I get "Step-1" all over again.

I have tried executing it several times and sometimes do get the track to load without errors (Bytheway the track looks like a piece of chocolate bar) ;)

I have gone through the trouble of posting all the messages, because I figured you'll be very interested to know and also understands what they mean. :japonais:
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

LOL thanks ! But now I'm really lost :)
I can't tell yet if it's coming from the loading, the physics part or the rendering. Let's be more accurate on some points :

sometimes it worked after restarting the program.
What works ? Can you drive on the test track ?
I have tried executing it several times and sometimes do get the track to load without errors (Bytheway the track looks like a piece of chocolate bar)
But which track ? The orignal test.wtt ? the 2 others I sent you (quad.wtt and quad_no_tex.wtt) ?
A piece of chocolate bar ?? Can you take a screenshot and post it here then ?

Hell, these error messages seem to come from the physics but I really hope this ain't the case...
Dernière modification par Siklist le 03 déc. 2003 22:32, modifié 1 fois.
Skubidou
Administrateur

Message par Skubidou »

Hehe, Sik, if you need to correct the physics, don't forget to correct the acceleration ;)

Skubidou :cxav: :~
Freddy

Message par Freddy »

Sik, If you are confused then I am ten times more confused than before :ké boulet:

Lets start from the beginning: :gump:

I guess I have to ask what should be obvious to you.

What was the true purpose of trying the "debug version"?

Are the two tracks; quad.wtt and the other just to see if it loads? It is square. Is it for driving it? The chocolate bar is just a little humor. ;)

I can load the car onto Quad.wtt and sometimes I get the "erreur.." and other times I don't.

Perhaps you can give me an idea of the steps that I should take, in order to make it work. :casse:

;) I can take a screenshot of the track, but I don't know how to post it. I do not have a website where I can upload it.
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

What was the true purpose of trying the "debug version"?
The debug version is almost the same as the release. It just contains more code about error checking, no more, no less.
The messages you showed me above are what I was expecting from you, don't worry. But I do worry about these messages now :)
Are the two tracks; quad.wtt and the other just to see if it loads? It is square. Is it for driving it?
Yup, but I'd like you to tell me exactly what you can see : did you see your car on the little textured quad ? did you see the textures ? Could you quickly drive on this quad before falling into darkness ? Did you manage to load the original test track afterwards ? When you get an error while loading a track, does the screen remain black or can you see briefly the track before it crashes ?

I really need all details you can give me otherwise I won't be able to understand what's going on. I know this can be troublesome but there's no other way :larmes:
Perhaps you can give me an idea of the steps that I should take, in order to make it work
Steps are easy :

1) Launch the TE
2) Either - Load quad_no_tex.wtt
or - Load quad.wtt
or - Load test.wtt

Repeat this till you can describe me exactly what's happening : do you get the same error after the same step for the 3 tracks ? does it work sometimes (ie you can drive on the loaded track) ? what do you see just before the error shows ?
I can take a screenshot of the track, but I don't know how to post it. I do not have a website where I can upload it
Perhaps can you attach it to an email :?:

ho, last but not least : do you have the latest drivers for your voodoo 5 ?
Répondre